Thursday 26 June 2008

My Legacy

My last post talking about stuff to do before I die kind of ties in with a couple of conversations I have been meaning to mention.
Just recently a friend of mine was telling me about his mother and he described her as "a big woman". Judging by my friend's barely-bigger-than-a-jockey physique he probably wasn't talking about his Mum's size. At the time I thought that if I can ever be described as "a big woman" I'll probably be happy. The more I think about it the more I think it's a good kind of thing to aim at.
The other conversation was one I had with my Aunty Ros. It must have been a while back because it's 4 years since we buried her. Aunty Ros was telling me about my great-grandparents. I'm not sure if she actually remembered them or if she was telling me what she had been told but her words were "They gave away more than they ever kept"
Again, if that can be said of me, I'll be honoured.

To be poor may be a misfortune, but it is not a fault.
Mary Harrison.

7 comments:

  1. Special,

    What a lovely sentiment - 'They gave away more than they ever kept'....so sweet and so nice.

    I don't doubt that you will be remembered like that - look at you woman! You're just a star!

    (you can email me more money later!)

    luv ya hun,
    Peej xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. Not only because your refrig looks like crap, but because you had an Aunty Ros who told you stories. I started giving everything away a few years ago. Why should it be left to sort through at the end, or before Ohno destroys everything. I want it to go to the right people and don't want any thing left to chance. Yes, I know I will probably live to 95, but I don't want the baggage. I want all the suff I love to go to people I love. And hopefully a few of them will take my spirit of volunteerism as well and do right by me. I want to be proud of the people I love and I want them to find a way to give back.

    I love this post. I would be honored to be adored as a "big woman." It would mean I'd done the right thing, and people had noticed. I do love this post honey. And of course, I love you.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ peej
    i'm running out of money.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SUZE
    i never said my fridge looks crap....but it does. and so does the sink, the laundry, the hallway.....
    47 seems early to start giving away stuff. i'm sure you could enjoy it for a few more years. each to his own though.
    enjoy the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Bob's blog you sort of gave the "frig" thing away. And honey, I'm about to be 49. Stop drinking. Peter, will you come back from Russia please and take care of this mess?

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. And no honey, 49 isn't to early to be giving stuff away. I'm sick of dusting!!! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.