Thursday 4 August 2022

Neighbours again - Boose

It was maybe a year ago that the family across the road had their daughther's boyfriend move in to live with them.
My daughter, Briony, always knows what is happening and would give me reports:

Natalie and Boose close the blinds when we go outside to mow lawns.
Boose was standing in the window shirtless.
Boose was washing his mother-in-law's car.........

The family are not friendly people and will look in the opposite direction rather than say hello so I eventually was struck by curiosity:

Did you actually talk to this guy? How do you know his name is Boose? (rhymes with moose)
Who names a kid Boose?

I was met with hilarious, stomach clutching laughter.

"No, I didn't speak to him, I don't know his name, thats his number plate B-O-U-S"

It's been weeks and I'm still laughing!


In other news, cousin Dave showed up a few days ago, walking up the road with hospital bracelet still on his wrist. I slowed the car and put the window down 
"DAVOOOO!!  It's so good to see you home!"

we spoke for a moment and then I asked why he still had the hospital bracelet on.

"I forgot my name"

Caitlin and I were both momentarily horrified  and then

"haha! GOTCHA!"

He does have dementia but is relieved to have an explanation for his recent confusion. 

14 comments:

  1. I had a good laugh at both these events. Without laughter we are sunk Kylie. Those neighbours are weird. I have one down below from me I call "Sledgehammer" (long story). She also turns her head away to avoid saying hello to people. Her career was in nursing and I am horrified she was let loose on patients.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess we all operate differently. I have been known to avoid awkward supermarket encounters :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the early morning smiles - tinged with sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave is too young but we don't get to choose our maladies.....

      Delete
  3. We have new neighbors next door and I understand we are much older than they are, but we still share a common boundary. They will occasionally wave, but we we are outside they immediately go inside their house. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to stop what I was doing on the basis of a neighbour being outdoors. We have a lot of opportunity to hide these days and people are losing skills

      Delete
  4. He may have dementia but, he still has a good sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Imagine we were all known by our numberplate!

      Delete
  6. If his name was actually boose, that could be rather embarrassing! And the butt of many tedious jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. people can make any name into a tedious joke :)

      Delete
  7. I thought I left a comment here. But, it is not here. Is this the same Dave in the last post that died?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same Dave. He was talking of suicide but he didn't die.

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.