Monday 6 May 2024

Adventures in free camping again

There are a couple of things I realised I should explain:

I want to sleep in the car rather than camp in a swag or tent because my balance is so bad, I use a walking stick outdoors and only have one hand available to do any work with. Trying to bend to straighten and peg a tent, or unroll a swag with one hand might be possible for me but it would be incredibly hard. I can manage a car because it's up high and I don't have to do any kind of unpacking or fastening.

You will remember that I was going to an "Over  50s Meet-up" and I really thought I would enjoy that but I found it daunting to join a large crowd of strangers at the camp fire so I hung back until the majority had wandered off to cook dinner and when I did join, not a single person spoke to me. I don't blame them, it was probably daunting for them too but without any kind of social connection I found it impossible to just sit around.

In days gone by I could camp in one spot for 7-10 days without a problem but then I had kids to feed, supervise, shower etc and plenty to occupy me. These days it doesn't matter how beautiful the surroundings, I can't be content with a chair, a car and a book. Instead of staying at the meet-up for the allocated 3 days, I took off to explore somewhere else.


Autumn colour in Wagga Wagga Botanic Gardens




An art work in Wagga Wagga Regional Gallery. I'll post it again another day with the information relating to the work.



It's not often that you see a painted sign these days. Commercial Museum, Junee.



Coming from a family full of brass players, I had to snap a couple of pics. Commercial museum, Junee.


Murrumburrah silo art



It was raining. I guess Mr Horse didn't want to get wet. The dog who looks like a big rag lying on the verandah was looking down at him as I left. I think they are friends.



Bethungra Hotel now operating as a B&B. Look at the lovely stone walls and new lacework.



Junee's Commercial Museum, in the old Commercial Hotel. The museum was a little bit shambolic but I received a warm welcome and had a wander through. It is a very substantial collection and building to be curated and maintained completely by volunteers.


Back to music.

This old bass was covered in dirt. I wonder if it was dug up from somewhere.


19 comments:

  1. I love the perspective on the first silo art picture. It might be a bit away for us to visit but we’ve seen many of the Victorian ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your route to Queensland probably goes further to the west than Murrumburrah so you'd have no reason to stop there I guess.
      Last time I was driving through Victoria was 20 years ago and I don't think silo art was a thing in those days!

      Delete
  2. I am wondering, not criticizing, but why didn't you speak to at least one of the people who were there that you said did not speak to you? Just an offhand remark might spark a conversation.

    It is understandable that you prefer the car. I would. No tents for me. I would feel more secure in a car and would not have to unload stuff. Ants would not crawl on me or bears.

    Maybe you could find some toddlers to take camping...lol. Just kidding. What would you prefer to do rather than sit and read. Do these older people get out a board game to pass the time? That would be wonderful to me. Of course, it was more fun with your children. I can understand that. Maybe your children made all the difference in your enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did have a couple of brief conversations but didn't enjoy them too much. I know I can't expect to be best friends in 2 minutes. I'm surprised at myself, really. I'm usually quite chatty.
      I had a great time exploring parks and museums so I have learnt that I prefer to keep moving if i have nobody with me.
      I don't know what people were doing, I saw some in the next town, some were reading, one was drawing or painting by the river. When they all joined up for camp fire at 4 there was an entertainer who was singing.

      Delete
    2. I wondered about that since you seem to be in a job that calls for talking to strangers. Some people do not know how to respond to others. Maybe that is why they are camping. However, a person can tell when their conversation is not welcomed. Yep, move on. Maybe there is another camping group you might enjoy better. Keep at the camping and you will find something that suits you. By the way, I enjoyed the art and all the pictures in this post. Yes, that horn looked like it had been buried, if not in the ground, in rubbish.

      Delete
  3. I am daunted by groups of strangers too, and would have struggled. I love the things you found to fill in your days. And would love (little as I like travelling) to go on a silo art tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you doing a silo art tour and seeing lots of other points of interest on the way

      Delete
  4. I love the two old buildings. I don't recall seeing anything like them in rural Australia. Mind you apart from the Blue Mountains most of my rural Australia experience was on the West. I would have had difficulty socially in the situation you describe. I am very sociable with people I know or individual strangers but not in groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two buildings are super traditional for pubs, there are lots of them around but many are falling apart and very expensive to fix.
      I could have done better socially if I'd tried harder but I didn't want to work at it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the explanation. A lot is now much clearer in my head. I am not a joiner and I would struggle in a group. I love your photos, especially the old and classic very Australian buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew,
      I try not to get into long winded explanations and over explaining but that means I often go too far the other way. It's a fatal flaw

      Delete
  6. I have never been a big fan of camping and 3 days would do me in. I am what is technically classified as an ambivert. I am fine with solo time, but I also love being in groups as long as I have enough social air space. I also understand that some people are not comfortable around folks they don't know well. Glad you practiced self care and went on to something you were more comfortable doing (and seeing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like camping but now I'm using it as a means to an end. It is inconvenient but cheap!
      Funnily enough, I didn't consider what I did as self care, just as moving on from something I didnt enjoy as much as I expected.

      Delete
  7. I've felt isolated in a new group too, Kylie, especially when my opening social remark gets tossed off or h'md at. I have travelled alone quite a lot though and have enjoyed it. Love your photos, you really capture Australian life.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like my photos, I'm always trying to take photos with one hand and stay steady with the other so I never get the exact photo I was hoping for!

      Delete
  8. That's weird that not a single person spoke to you, but as you say maybe they felt as daunted as you did. I'm with you about not wanting to sit around but doing a bit more exploring. I love all the artwork. And the Commercial Museum is a lovely old building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there was a person who tried to tell me how to put up my folding chair

      Delete
  9. I came here from Andrew's blog. I want to camp, even though I'm getting older, and you've given me hope that it's still possible. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's completely possible! Lots of older people camp and have a marvellous time.
      Thanks for visiting, Pixie

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.