Sunday 5 May 2024

Adventures in free camping

 I have always wanted to travel and for various reasons haven't done as much as I'd like. I had pretty much resigned myself to being super limited in my future travels but then I bought a different car and saw a youtube video by a man who sleeps in the exact same car. An idea was born. If I could sleep in the car, it would save me $100 / night for a motel. Saving that much on accomodation would allow me to travel further and for more days and spend more while I'm gone.

I have thought about this for nearly a year now, undecided about whether I could actually make it work. Then I saw a facebook group for people who enjoy freecamping was offering a meet-up for over 50's. The idea of being around a group was appealing, if anything really was going wrong I'd be able to call on support. It was still scary and I didn't completely commit to the idea until a couple of days beforehand but my children gave me some little pushes and I got the gear together and off I went.

I learnt a few things which I will cover another time but here are some photos:


I might have posted a similar one to this in the past. I had lunch at a really lovely pub about 4 hours from Sydney. The pub has been renovated and brought to life in the last few years, making the teeny seetlement of Jugiong a must stop for anyone who wants a good food experience in a pretty courtyard.



This is the sunset at Sandy Beach Reserve. Camping is free. It is a beautiful, grassy site with lots of magnificent River Red Gums. There are drop toilets and non-potable water.


Roadside sculpture announcing the hamlet of Dalton



I doubt this is used as a school these days. I have a kind of romantic fascination with community halls.





10 comments:

  1. Do tell us more. What kind of vehicle do you drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hyundai i30 wagon. With the back seat folded down there's enough length to sleep with bent knees.
      I have lots more photos to come!

      Delete
  2. How wonderful. I am cheering you on. And would love to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for giving it a shot and hopefully it will be the first of many, assuming you enjoyed the experience. Community halls, places to for men to meet women and vice versa at local dances.
    I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, I hope to do the silo art trail this year. If i can, I'll do it the same way

      Delete
  4. Yes, go for it. Get out and travel. If you don't like it you can always do something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red! I do hope to do a lot more

      Delete
  5. I had an estate car (wagon?) I slept in once upon a time when I was young. It wasn't my favourite sleep I have to admit. Tents were a little better with a proper air mattress. I confess that I do like comfort at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a self inflating mattress and I was very comfortable. Continually trying to find things that were all heaped into the little bit of remaining space was irritating though

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.