Sunday 3 May 2020

May begins

what a week it's been!
on Tuesday I was walking innocently across my office and some kind of "event" happened in my knee. It was disconcerting and I sat myself down quickly. Caitlin and Liam came to help figure out the next step and I managed to walk to the car and get home. It stiffened up over  the rest of the day and getting to the physio for the last appointment of the day was a (considerable) challenge.
Somehow, by living my life and not doing anything unusual, I have managed to rupture a bursa. Knee issues are common for me but I've never been this old before and I'm finding it all a bit miserable. All my muscles ache from compensating and i have a near constant caffeine withdrawal headache because, well, caffeine and the inability to move is a recipe for a lot of laundry.
I'm exhausted by eight every night and wonder how I can be so tired from doing absolutely nothing. Maybe it's the knee or maybe isolation is catching up with me.
It's not all bad though, Thursday was my birthday and it was lovely.


The photos are ones snapped quickly to send on the day so not great quality........


A set of non-alcoholic spirits given to me by Caitlin has meant the introduction of iso-cocktail hour and the bottles are so pretty, too!




Liam and Catherine macramed a wall hanging for me





And bought lunch: deep fried potato scallops, chips, spring rolls, onion rings & pineapple fritters




We watched a lovely movie "A streetcat named Bob"
Liam & Catherine were quite committed!




Briony sent me this lovely vase and had flowers delivered later in the day



I have taken up the "No Meat May" challenge and it's been lovely to have friends message me with their favourite vegetarian recipes. I've also been pleased to recommend the Bosh boys to other NMM participants.

I have entertained myself by suggesting "Sex Education" as family viewing to some conservative friends. (I am serious about it being a great show and a fabulous conversation starter but am entertained by their efforts to avoid telling me they will never take me up on it!)

And have progressed 75% of the way through my first assignment for my chaplaincy studies




25 comments:

  1. Pineapple fritters? I've never heard of them. they sound like they'd be very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pineapple rings battered and deep fried. They are an old favourite of mine and good with ice cream!

      Delete
  2. Your birthday looks and sounds lovely. Many, many belated wishes to you.
    Ruptured a bursa? Oh no. I am very, very sorry to hear that. I have had bursitis more than once and I suspect that pain is insignificant by comparison.
    I hope you heal quickly and completely.
    Yay on getting your first assignment well under way. I struggle with on-line courses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC! It's not usually what I would call painful but stiff and unreliable. I'll get there but it's frustrating.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! You have received really nice gifts. I hate that just a simple move can cause damage and pain. It has happened to me. It seems that pain comes more often as I age! Bummer for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      I have been given some lovely things!
      Ageing is a bitch!

      Delete
  4. I ruptured my bursa in the right knee five weeks ago and am still in discomfort. I am however advised not to worry as it will heal by itself in a few weeks. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that's just miserable, you have enough to deal with. I hope it's soon better.

      Delete
  5. A belated happy birthday. I'm sorry to hear about your knee problems and wish you a speedy recovery. Your gifts are all beautiful but that vase in particular is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you enjoyed your birthday. As I sit here eating my mixed bean, feta etc etc mixed salad all that batter suddenly looks very appealing. I do hope that your knee recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Graham!
      Your salad would have been a lot more colourful!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Kylie! I'd say your experience in this post is like the 'curate's egg' - good in places. Mixed bag for sure. My left knee does random strange things. Very annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!
      Good in places is a great summary. I always say knees are so important it's a problem when they aren't happy but then, I guess everyjoint is like that!

      Delete
  8. Ouch, kylie - I'm sorry to hear about your knee. Your observation on this happening when you weren't doing anything unusual rings familiar to me also. It would be acceptable to get hurt being a weekend warrior but much less so when we are just minding our own business and not doing anything strange! I hope you are back to mobility soon.

    Belated Happy Birthday to you, fellow Taurean :) Mine was yesterday. It was a weird birthday meal here - bacon and cheese on toast. Yours looks much better! Your vase is lovely, especially with flowers in it too. Yay for online learning - is this the same course you had hoped to take previously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Jenny! If I were a weekend warrior would need to expect it! also, I say I hurt my knee and people assume I fell, which I didnt, I don't know why that's important but it is :)
      So, your birthday is the 2nd? Happy Birthday! a deconstructed cheeseburger makes a fine birthday meal ;)
      It is the course I had hoped to take, I was unable to enrol with the rest of the cohort because I couldnt take time off for face-to-face classes but covid moved it all online. NOw I have to play a bit of catch up but I'm happy to be included.

      Delete
  9. Belated birthday greetings Kylie. The gifts from your children show how much you are loved. Sorry to hear about your knee. Having occasionally suffered from knee problems myself, I know there's no magic cure but I found those physio exercise bands quite useful to build up strength without putting weight on my knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yp! I went through extensive physio including weights under 12 months ago and benefitted greatly. This is so acute I need a lot of healing before I could even think about my old routine.

      And yes, I am well loved. My kids are extraordinarily generous, kind people and are a huge joy

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear about your knee. I guess like most of these odd injuries it will clear up after a while. And yes, I daresay your exhaustion is from the body compensating for the injured knee in all sorts of ways.

    Glad you had such a great birthday. The wall hanging is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you had a macrame wall hanging or pot plant holder in the 70s!

      Delete
    2. Actually no, I didn't!

      Delete
  11. I hope your knee recovers soon! I'm suffering from whiplash from my fall 6 weeks ago, so I can relate! Happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whiplash is pretty horrible, are you getting some treatment for it?
      I very randomly thought of your mum last night and hoped that my thinking of her wasn't a bad sign

      Delete
  12. I hope the caffeine head sorts itself out - it should over time, and I hope the knee stops being a pain.
    Happy belated Birthday Greetings!!!
    SX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ms scarlet!
      The knee is slowly improving and the head is possibly as good as it will be 😂

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.