Monday 18 October 2021

Freedom Saturday

I was about to tell you that my first weekend of "freedom" was busy but really it was only busy in contrast with the quiet of past months.

On Saturday I went to see Caitlin in her chiro clinic. She is happy to treat me at home but the table we have here is not so easily adjustable as the one in clinic and I always feel it's a little unfair to ask her to treat me when she has finished work for the day so I try to keep the boundaries crisp and I think it works well for us both.

I took Keaghan to the barber and then we all went to Liams place for pizza. Liam and Catherine moved in the first or second week of lockdown so I hadn't been able to see them or their new place. The night they moved I ordered pizza for them and they wanted me to try what I had sent. There was a hitch with the delivery so there was quite a wait but they were worth waiting for. 

After lunch, Catherine made a spontaneous decision to get my girls to cut her hair. The timing was a bit funny, just when she could finally have seen a hairdresser she opted for a kichen cut with dressmaking scissors! They had a ball though and it's always nice to have a fresh cut.




Then home so Keaghan could get ready for a very much anticipated night out with friends. There was a flurry as he cleaned shoes and  tried to figure out what to wear. I think we have all spent so much time in "house clothes" that getting properly ready for a night out seems unfamiliar and provokes a touch of anxiety. The place he was going is one of the more fancy and expensive bars in the city, the kind of place that the high flyers go to see and be seen so i think it took on an almost mythological proportion but of course it turned out to be an uneventful evening. Keaghan was home before 2, early for a young 'un and I was in bed by 10.



21 comments:

  1. A day out after lockdown is to be celebrated. It doesn't matter where!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose the freedom was heady and anxiety producing. It all sounds happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually read articles about re-entry anxiety, which surprised me. Keaghan puts himself under a lot of pressure and being a special occasion, he was true to form

      Delete
  3. Love those smiles. And expect that there were and will be many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about my girls is, they will laugh uproariously about who knows what. I believe it's a twin thing

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the freedom!
    To be honest, I haven't. I'm not sure what is going on in the UK, and still don't feel comfortable with going to restaurants and pubs.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the UK still has a lot of cases so I think there are plenty of people who are taking it cautiously.

      Delete
  5. I had the same sort of feelings when our covid restrictions started to wind down and suddenly I was able to circulate more and feel a bit more "normal". It was all a bit strange and unfamiliar. Good that you could finally see Liam and Catherine in their new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, I'm ok on the social side of things but I suddenly have no idea what to wear, anywhere, ever!

      Delete
  6. Your family’s return to more-or-less normal life doesn’t feel strange and unfamiliar to this reader. It feels,well, normal.

    I saw a meme on Facebook the other day that said “Normal is not going to return. Jesus is.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that covid portends the return of Jesus but he will come and what a day that will be!

      Delete
  7. Ah. What is 'normal' these days. I think it will be a while before we see anything approaching life as it was pre-Covid. Having said that your day seems to have been full and got lockdown out of your system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, with two still working from home this househjold isn't even close to pre-covid normal or even to any kind of new normal but thats ok, I'm just happy to be out of the house

      Delete
  8. Smile at strangers and you might change a life.
    Wonderful photo, Kylie !

    I remember my older sister, in tears, returning from the hairdresser.
    My father, who got *a short back and side* from the barber, was always sympathetic.
    A woman's hair is her glory he would say without irony.
    Your daughter went through no Long Dark Night of the Soul Hair Trauma.

    A Night Out in Town is a tonic.
    I only have that feeling in London.
    Glasgow is too frenetic, too boozy and loud, and I know it like a village.
    European and Chinese immigrants have brought a touch of the unknown to our city.
    Perhaps I should risk deep vein thrombosis, and fly to Sydney.

    I hope Caitlin's chiro practice picks up after this strange time.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack,
      There was no hair trauma this time but I do remember a time when there was an afternoon of sobbing!
      I honestly don't even know anything about the night life in my own city, it always seems such a chore to get there and back from the suburbs.
      Caitlin nis doing quite well, it's her first year in practice and she has a great boss who helps her to keep the patients rolling in. Our GP of 20 years also sends people to the practice, which I really like.

      Delete
  9. I love that happy hair cut photo and we have been back to whatever normal is for a long time now. We were lucky covid was contained in the earlier days. I take nothing for granted though, everything can change on a dime.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW,
      Things certainly changed on a dime here. The state was covid free and we were living almost as though it never existed, then a case arrived and within a week it was out of control.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic. It must feel good being out of lockdown. I've never experienced it so it's hard for me to appreciate how difficult it has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I'm still not super confident on my new feet so I'm not getting out a lot but now at least I'm only limited by my feet.
      I don't find lockdown too hard as I live with people and I can be happy reading and watching TV and so on but it does become very limiting after a while.

      Delete
  11. It is obvious that you thoroughly enjoyed the freedom! Must be nice getting back in circulation and doing normal things.

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.