Wednesday 27 March 2024

Peggy and Molly

 


Molly the Magpie fell from the nest as a wee thing. The owners of the property where he was found hand raised him (and yes, Molly is a "he" but I guess it was a case of the name sticking before the gender was determined)

The dog, Peggy, was so protective, so enchanted, so bonded that she lactated as a response to the fledgling.

I stumbled across the story some time ago and have enjoyed their antics via Instagram for some time now. 

Molly barks like a staffy, walks on Peggy, cleans her ears, plays with toys, steals toys........

And the delight just goes on.

Molly has grown up and is now an adult bird, allowed to fly free and enjoy life in the trees. He is not quite wild but he lives independently, making his own choice to visit the family he grew up in.

Somehow, the Queensland Department of Science and Industry has decided that Molly can't live on the property of his birth and rescue. He has been "surrendered" to the department and taken away. 

I'm generally not a fan of anthropomorphism but in this case I genuinely believe that he could take a nose dive and die of a broken heart.

Molly's caretakers are asking for the public to protest and I fully expect that there will be an uprising of people on behalf of this little bird and his adopted flock.

For a brief second I thought it was sad that people won't make the same outcry about much bigger problems but this is the nature of things. 

I have signed protests, donated money and written to governments about all kinds of things, never really expecting my voice to make any difference but I believe that a movement of people in support of Peggy and Molly might actually work. There are no powerful lobby groups involved, no deep corporate pockets, hopefully no corrupt politicians and no ngreat riches to gain by removing a bird from his chosen habitat. This is a battle that just might be won. 

Peggy and Molly bring joy to thousands of people around the world and that can only be a good thing.


18 comments:

  1. I really, really hope that Molly can go home. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the reason Molly must be removed? Where can we sign a petition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason given is that it's not good for him to be habituated to humans and is now vulnerable to attack from people or dogs. They say he can't ever be released to the wild so he'll be kept in a "suitable facility"
      There's a petition here:
      https://www.change.org/p/reunite-peggy-and-molly-don-t-break-their-4-year-bond

      I'll email it to you for ease

      Delete
  3. On the face of it, it seems like a poor decision by authorities. I am not sure about magpie homing instincts, but Molly may well return to where he was happy.
    Men being called Molly has Aussie music history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Molly is a "boy" name!!! I didn't think of that.
      I do understand that habituation isn't good for animals but removing him from his home to a "rescue" facility would seem to be counter productive

      Delete
  4. I’d never heard this ‘story’ before - are Australian Magpies protected in Qld? Crikey magpies down here become almost domesticated by choice if they find a household that’ll feed them. Yes they live outside but never seem to leave your garden. I had to cut down on feeding them one year when I couldn’t go out the door without being almost ganged up on by a crowd of them flying down from the trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magpies are protected in Queensland.
      I think this one is pretty much the same as your gang, living free but happy to go where the friends and food are.
      At work there is a whole gang of wild maggies but they know the gardener and don't try to get away from him.

      Delete
    2. Cathy, are you well? hows your at home week going?

      Delete
    3. I’m fine as far as COVID is concerned- The Back has played up a little this week though. Not enough gallivanting around to keep it mobile I think😊. I’m also thinking I’ll not have a positive result.

      After I commented I looked up magpies and learned they are protected Australia wide. Knowing they are called Australian Magpies I never put two and two together putting them on a par with Cockatoos which are also protected. I wonder what other birds are protected that I don’t know about?

      Delete
  5. I hope the protest succeeds. I don't see why he had to be "surrendered" to the QDS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep checking social media for updates but nothing yet

      Delete
  6. The Queensland Department of Science and Industry should be renamed The Queensland Department of Science and Industry and Wrong Decisions. What the hell were those numbskulls thinking of to lay down the law with regard to such a happy real life tale? Shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently some third party put the department under a lot of pressure. Interfering busy body, party pooper, holier than thou person

      Delete
  7. Molly was an abbreviation of Maurice in Ireland. Oh I am so sad for these two buddies. The authorities are so bound by idiotic bureaucracy at times that it makes my head hurt. I hope the petition works, we can only handle small matter in this nightmare of a world.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I saw an announcement that Molly has been returned but I can't find it again. Let's hope

      Delete
  8. Please keep us updated! Bloody authorities - they usually make everything ten times worse.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latest news says the Queensland Premier has intervened but there is a long and complex legal process to go through

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.