Friday 7 August 2020

Pandemic style and other oddities




 Have you ever used the "cardless cash" feature at the ATM?

I went to the shops yesterday and soon realised I had let my visa card at home (in a pocket, it's a terrible habit) and had half as much cash as I needed to buy the things I had intended. I decided I'd have to make do but texted Caitlin just to say what I'd done.

"Get cardless cash" she said. I told her I'd never set it up and didn't have data for internet access. "Connect to the Woolworths free wi-fi, set up cardless cash on your phone and then go get the money from the machine."

The longest part of the process was connecting to woolworths free wi-fi. 

I got my money out and bought the things I needed to. I am familiar with the internet and happy in the digital world but sometimes it's capabilities still just blow me away. No visa card, no internet access, no cash and I still managed to shop. It's just unthinkable really, isn't it?

The college I work for has it's main campus in Melbourne and with that part of the world in a stage 4 lockdown, I am now the sole on-site employee except for the groundsmen and it's weird because it's completely stolen my motivation. Ever since March I have been the only person on-site in Sydney and it hasn't bothered me at all but now that  the entire team is working from home I just don't see the point. My thinking isn't logical, I still need to do the things I have been doing but with the return to work far away in the distance it all seems a bit irrelevant. Maybe I'll get back in the swing of it next week.

We are still not required to wear masks here in NSW but I see mandatory masking looming so I made a few fabric masks this week. It's easy enough and I enjoyed playing around with different fabrics, creating different looks. I used an old pair of jeans I've never wanted to part with, an old tea towel for the floral one and the check pattern is an off cut from a pair of pants I made way back in the early nineties. Keaghan looks like a  model in the denim one I made for him, I asked him to send a me a photo, I wonder if he will.



28 comments:

  1. Nice work with the masks.

    I find things like cardless cash scary so I don't use it. I keep things simple. Becuase of COVID I use the tap and go facility to pay for everything now so when I had to use my PIN last week to get cash I had almost forgotten it. My partner has all the latest toys and apps. so probably uses cardless cash - I wouldn't know. But then he's got Twitter and Tik Tok too. I figure the less presence I have in the digital realm the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use tap & go all the time, too, so much that I have trouble remembering my pin.
      I don't have tik tik, I don't have a reason to get it.

      Delete
  2. I haven't yet trialled the cardless cash option. Some day. Perhaps. Mind you I struggle using my phone (too small for my eyes and my fingers) so perhaps not.
    I like your masks. I may have to follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your masks. I wish I had some denim. MaybeTommy has something denim that I can cut up. I have never heard of cardless cash in the US, but since you can do it, I am sure it is here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denim makes a nicely structured mask, I hope you find some!

      Delete
  4. I like your masks too. I should try to make myself some as most of the ones I've bought have been far too big.
    I am also lacking motivation.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masks are so easy and you're a crafter from way back!
      The motivation thing is so weird, just part of pandemic life I suppose

      Delete
  5. Cool masks Kylie.
    I haven't ventured into the cashless card world yet. I'm sticking with what I know best.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have even thought of careless cash if Caitlin hadn't said it. It was great in the circumstances. And who knew woollies does free wi-fi?

      Delete
  6. We are required to wear masks here in Michigan, I figure it will be a long time before that changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very stylish outfit! Fashionistas will be beating a path to your door....

    Masks will be compulsory in NI in all shops and enclosed public spaces from Monday. They're already compulsory on public transport.

    Cardless cash is available at some UK bank branches but not all. I haven't seen the facility at any local ATMs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it's so purple as to be more "cat lady" than "fashionista" but that's ok, i like purple

      Delete
  8. When I come to think of it it would be hard to work alone when you're used to working with staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I've been ok until now but yes, it takes a bit of adjustment

      Delete
  9. grew up with Woolworth's and worked at Woolworth's for awhile, but they're now gone from America. I don't know if cardless cash exists here. If I left home without my Visa card, I would go back and get it. I almost never use cash, and Covid has led to a shortage of coins here.

    Here in Oregon, masks are required, but since Portland has had nightly demonstrations since May, the virus is spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh I'd be completely stumped with cardless cash too - although obviously it can be done. Darn it they're dragging us into the 21st century whether we like it or not aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. t worked out pretty well for me but i can't imagine i'll use it too often

      Delete
  11. Young people know all the angles :) It's good you didn't have to go back home and could get everything done that you planned.

    I'm having episodes of "what's it all for, anyhow" lately, too. Not for work, luckily, but for a lot of other stuff. Probably I need to step back from the news for a few days. That usually helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my kids keep me up to date with so many things!

      Delete
  12. And I love your ... poncho? What a gorgeous colour! And go you, on making masks. I really like the flowered one in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a poncho, i got it in a thrift store last year. It's all my favourite colours

      Delete
  13. I've never heard of cardless cash, can't imagine how it works without knowing passwords and card numbers?

    I like your coordinated look up there, that mask looks knitted.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for cardless cash, you set it up on your banking app and the bank sends a password to your phone which you use with the "cardless cash" option in the machine.

      The mask is a headband I bought in a hippie shop years ago, it is a knitted type of fabric

      Delete
  14. I have not been to an ATM in years as I never need cash. The little cash that I keep in my wallet for emergency is provided by the children who keep withdrawing from and replenishing it regularly. I would not know how to use a cardless cash withdrawal method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that the children anticipate every need you mght ever have! Well done to them

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.