Wednesday 20 September 2023

The Voice




Not the TV show, the referendum.

Next month, Australia will vote on a change to the constitution which will allow our first nations people to have a voice in parliament.

There are many saying it's too little, too late and that is undeniably true but this change to the constitution will allow Aboriginal people to speak to any proposed changes to law. Anything at all which can be put to parliament will be subject to the feedback of Aboriginal communities. If the referendum returns a "yes" it will not just open doors but blast away walls in terms of giving aboriginals a say in things. Thats not to say that there will be great proposals and everything will change overnight but because it will allow for so much, the too little, too late view is moot.

There is a great deal of propaganda about, telling people they will be paying extra taxes if they vote yes, telling people aboriginal people don't want it, saying that it forces a treaty and saying it will cause division.

Well, I guess the point about division is true because there's not much unity around it right now but the way I see it, we get to do something for an oppressed group or we get to be on the wrong side of history and I won't cave to the "unity" of the status quo and forever rue the consequences.

The polls are indicating that a "no" is the most likely result, which would be truly devastating. After over 200 years of oppression, stolen children, deaths in custody, poor access to health care, segregation and all the other inequities of colonisation, a "no" vote will say to indigenous Australians that they still don't matter, that their fight for life has gone un-noticed, that all the other Australians are too selfish to even give them a fair hearing. 

If the referendum returns a "no" can we expect a wave of suicides? riots? political assassinations? 
Do I sound excessive? because I don't know how long people can be patient. I don't know how long indigenous people can accept their lot with anything resembling grace.

I have ordered my "yes" t-shirt and hopefully it will arrive soon, then I can wear it at every opportunity for the next 25 days. It's about the only thing I can do.


14 comments:

  1. Voting YES is a no brainer for me, but I am worried. Very worried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on your side. Aboriginal issues are complex. the longer we leave the issues on the table, the more complex they get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red,
      Wilfully heaping more pain on top of what has already happened seems not only inhumane but stupid

      Delete
  3. Wow, I didn't know that the Originals couldn't vote. That's madness. All the very best to the Yes campaign.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet,
      They got the vote in 1962. This referendum would allow them to be consulted on all relevant issues before any law was passed. It would allow them more direct input

      Delete
  4. I await the referendum result with interest. As you say, a no vote will be a big slap in the face for indigenous people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, the more I think about it, the more I realise a no vote is bigger than a slap in the face.
      For most Australians, This is the first time in living memory that we have opportunity to do something concrete for our indigenous friends. If we mindfully, wilfully, say no, it's a terrible thing.
      Right now we can blame the governments and colonisers of history but a no vote puts all of that evil directly on our shoulders

      Delete
  5. I have been keeping up with this referendum. It will be interesting to see how it falls out.
    anne in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too long to wait for a result, Anne :)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely agree with you Kylie and no, I don't think you are overstating the negative impacts of a 'no' result. As 'yes' supporters are saying: a 'no' result essentially means that the majority of Australians are happy with the status quo. And you are also correct - most 'no' supporters are simply mean and selfish. I don't belong in my own culture. I am feeling so alienated by what I am seeing in this country. It really isn't a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I saw a headline saying that the mental health of indigenous people is already suffering so I can only imagine a no vote would make things so much worse.
      I tend to believe that people are basically good but sometimes the evidence doesn't support that theory

      Delete
  7. I have many aboriginal friends and feel so very lucky to be privy to their thoughts and Kylie I sure hope this goes through. They have been demeaned, diminished and othered so badly and egregiously by the colonizations both here in Canada and Australia and elsewhere that this is only a tiny token of compensation for all they have suffered and continue to suffer.
    I will watch keenly.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.